This week’s highlights: Quitting youth sports, short selling as bounty hunting and a prescription to help with autism.
And we’re back
My apologies for missing last week – I was swamped in final preparations for the CFA exam on June 3rd and on a self-imposed information ‘lite’ diet.
Food for Thought:
- NYT – Knowing When to Quit This may be touching the third-rail – but is there a time when it is best for your kids to quit youth sports?
- Ringer – The Ecstasy and the Anxiety of Jim Carrey Forty years after wandering onstage at a Toronto comedy club as a teenager, the rubber-faced actor has lived every cycle of stardom. He reemerged recently after a long hiatus. Now what?
- NYT – Dissecting Marissa Mayer’s $900,000-a-Week Yahoo Paycheck
- AoM – 10 Things I Would Do If I Were Twenty-One “The following is an excerpt from The Business of Living by Frank Crane. It has been condensed from the original. Published in 1920, it’s a real gem.”
- Forbes – Nashville Is On A Red Hot Roll, And It’s Not Just The Predators – Last night notwithstanding…
- NYT – The Bounty Hunter of Wall Street. Andrew Left sniffs out corporate fraud — and gets rich doing it.
- FC – Over the Last 17 Years: Have My Sell Decisions Really Added Anything? I’m convinced that I should simply hold stocks indefinitely.
- Racked – $173 Million Later, The Real Real Is Officially Consignment Queen. The new funding comes just in time for the retailer to open its first store.
- WSJ – The Harvard Yard Sale: Private Equity, Real Estate and New Zealand Dairy Farms. Private-equity giant KKR nears $70 million deal for some of endowment’s farm holdings.
- BoF – Luxury’s Generation Gap. Millennials and Gen-Z will account for 45 percent of the luxury market by 2025, but their values and spending habits are at odds with the business models of many traditional brands.
- Economist – A drug used to treat sleeping sickness may also help with autism. It was only an initial trial, but suramin’s effects were dramatic .
- BI – The iPad was supposed to revolutionize news, books, and computers. So what happened?
- MRP – Dad Jokes with Mr Jerry Seinfeld. The legendary comedian on how to be a better parent and why his kids are his toughest audience
- NG – Climber Completes the Most Dangerous Rope-Free Ascent Ever. Alex Honnold has become the first climber to free solo Yosemite’s 3,000-foot El Capitan wall.
- NYT – The Doctor Is In. Co-Pay? $40,000.