This week’s highlights: Sporting Masculinity, Venture Capital, and Bubba
by David Wells – Nashville TN
Summer in TN rounds the halfway point this weekend with the celebration of the Fourth of July and the rapidly approaching start back to school in early August – but who knows if that will even happen.
As well – for the select few who care – Formula 1 finally makes its return on Sunday with the first of 2 weekend races at the Red Bull Ring in Austria. If you want to get up to speed on the action – check out Netflix’s awesome documentary Drive to Survive. Check out the action on Sunday morning early at 8AM central – Live.
Food for Thought
- Art of Manliness – Boys, Ferocity, Frontiers, and Sports “Those complaints miss fundamental truths about sports, for males in particular. For many boys and young men, classrooms are uncomfortable places. Athletic teams are often a saving compensation”
- McSweeney’s – A Message from Your University’s Vice President for Magical Thinking – Thanks TP Not sure “Covid parties” are the best idea – here’s looking at you University of Alabama. “Our [COVID] strategy is outlined below, but the short answer is this: Our university will proceed as if everything will be okay because we really, really want it to be.”
- GPF – George Friedman on The Gallup Podcast: Will the 2020s Be a ‘Storm’ That Leads to ‘Calm’ in the U.S.? Great podcast interview – How cyclical are U.S. events and history? Pointing to key moments in history, Friedman argues that the country cyclically finds itself in a state of crisis every 80 years — and that these moments are drivers of major change as the U.S. “reinvents itself, in a form both faithful to its founding and radically different from what it had been.”
- WashPo – ‘Hamilton’ wasn’t just timely. It’s timely over and over again If you weren’t a Disney+ subscriber yet, you may be this weekend as acclaimed musical, Hamilton, is released on video today
- MIT TechReview – Why venture capital doesn’t build the things we really need The funding model that made Silicon Valley a global hub excels at creating a certain kind of innovation—but the pandemic has exposed its broader failures.
- CJ – Home at the Mall Development projects are converting America’s faded retail structures into livable space.
- WCS – How Often Do Long-Term Bonds Beat Stocks?
- NYT – The #Vanlife Business Is Booming Coronavirus is just a distant memory while zipping around in a several-hundred-thousand-
dollar custom van on the open road.
- PNJ – Pensacola’s Bubba Watson has followed the model Detroit’s Dan Gilbert put in place Neat profile of his work in his hometown of Pensacola.
- Autosport – Horner: Red Bull best prepared for 2020 F1 season since last title campaign Go Max!
- NPR – A Year In, 1st Patient To Get Gene Editing For Sickle Cell Disease Is Thriving
- BBC – Coronavirus death rate falling in hospital