Cocktail Hour, Illinois Issues, Zoom Fatigue
by David Wells – Nashville TN
No deep reflections here today – I hope this finds you safe and well. It’s sunny and 70 in Nashville, and looks to be a great few days to be outdoors.
For Laughs –
Man skillfully raps Dr. Seuss rhymes over Dr. Dre beats in a must-see mashup – Thanks DH
Content I wrote this week –
- 6 Keys for Multi-Generational Family Wealth Creation – Part 2 If a family is serious about continuing to grow its wealth across generations (and keep up with generational growth), it is highly unlikely that a broadly diversified portfolio alone will achieve that target.
All the best,
Food for Thought
- UTK – A Visceral Voyage: MC Brakefield Designs a Bright Future If you’ll allow me to brag on my cousin for a bit – this piece is so inspiring about her journey as a D-1 athlete, through major health struggles, to founding her own company focused on making fashionable clothing for those with disabilities.
- QZ – To Tell Someone They’re Wrong, First Tell Them They’re Right “A philosopher’s 350-year-old trick to get people to change their minds is now backed up by psychologists.” But does it work with spouses?
- NYT – Why Cocktail Hour Is Back We need the ritual; we have the time. And during lockdown, it’s 5 o’clock everywhere.
- Men’s Health – Val Kilmer Doesn’t Believe in Death The iconic actor played Iceman, Doc Holliday, Batman, and Jim Morrison, but behind all the mythic roles was a man grasping for meaning wherever he could find it. Here he opens up about cancer, strength, and death.
- II – An OCIO Performance Index Exists for the First Time. Here’s How They Did.
- NYT – The Victoria’s Secret Contract That Anticipated a Pandemic
- ZH – Why Illinois Is Broke: 109,881 Public Employees With $100,000+ Paychecks Cost Taxpayers $14B
- NA Moving – Where are Americans Moving? The top three states for outbound moves in 2019 were Illinois, California, and New Jersey.
- TheAtlantic – Efficiency Is Biting Back Decades of streamlining everything made the U.S. more vulnerable.
- NatGeo – ‘Zoom fatigue’ is taxing the brain. Here’s why that happens.
- WashPo – A chef gave away 500 sourdough starters and built a community around bread, pancakes and doughnuts
- Outside – Everything We Know About Exercise and Depression A new meta-study, which followed 267,000 people, sheds a few answers
- Idler – Interview with Damien Hirst The original YBA has done everything to the max – drinking, snorting and making millions with his art. Having gone sober, slimmed down his business operation and taken up flower painting, what does his world look like now?
- NYT – Their Met Gala, Their Way. You’re Invited. A group of internet kids are about to hold the biggest fashion party of the year.