Fifteen on Friday (Fof) is a weekly newsletter that is delivered every Friday afternoon directly to your inbox. The goal is to curate a thoughtful list of the most interesting pieces of the week, across a wide range of subjects from arts, culture, economics, science, technology and occasionally fashion.
This week’s highlights: Essential Oils, CEO Pay, and the Future of Agriculture.
Fifteen on Friday – 10/06/17 – Issue 256
Happy Friday and Fall Break to many! We published our Q3’17 market commentary this week entitled “The Beat Goes On“. If you want a quick, four page take on what is going in the financial markets currently, I would encourage you to take a look.
Food for Thought:
- TC – 12 Questions That Will Change Your Life
- NewYorker – How Essential Oils Became the Cure for Our Age of Anxiety. Aromatic oils have become big business. But are they medicine or marketing?
- Wired – No Inflation? Technology May Have Left It Back in the 20th Century – Credit SF
- Eater – As Goes the Middle Class, So Goes TGI Fridays – Credit JG – The End of Flair – What one typical American town reveals about the fate of the great suburban chain restaurant.
- Marketwatch – Why young kids should spend all day in nature instead of being cooped up inside a classroom. What if there were a better way to do early childhood education? Meet the Forest Kindergarten.
- LightfieldCap – “What am I really paying for?”. A thoughtful consideration of the risks that any fixed income investor incurs when they buy a Treasury.
- WSJ – Companies That Perform Best Don’t Pay CEOs the Most. Best-paid chiefs among the worst performers averaged $10 million a year more than their peers, study finds. An interesting companion piece would be this – NYT – When the Rich Said No to Getting Richer
- Economist – American entrepreneurship is flourishing, if you know where to look. The high-growth kind has rebounded sharply from lows after the Great Recession.
- II – Skilled Managers “Should and Actually Do” Hold Fewer Stocks. The better the investor, the more concentrated the fund manager’s portfolio was likely to be, according to a new research paper.
- ZH – It Has Never Been Cheaper To Hedge A Market Crash Using This One Trade. A look at global asset class volatility premia.
- NatGeo – This Tiny Country Feeds the World. The Netherlands has become an agricultural giant by showing what the future of farming could look like.
- Economist – Tiny robots will inspect and fix jet engines from the inside
- 60min – Will Christian Pulisic be the next big name in soccer? – Credit CT – The 19-year-old from Pennsylvania is already a millionaire pro-soccer player in Germany, but his U.S. coach says he could be the sport’s “first American superstar”
- FastCo – Even This Data Guru Is Creeped Out By What Anonymous Location Data Reveals About Us. Using code and the web, a data scientist follows two unnamed people and learns just how much our anonymous location data can say about who we are.
- Adweek – The Story Behind Big League Chew, the Shredded Gum That Benched Tobacco in a Minor League Dugout. Major childhood flashback here.