This week’s highlights: The Corruption of Scholarship, Inside WhatsApp, and Schizophrenia and the Immune System
Fifteen on Friday – 10/05/18 – Issue 304
Food for Thought:
- Areo – Academic Grievance Studies and the Corruption of Scholarship Something has gone wrong in the university—especially in certain fields within the humanities.
- Vanity Fair – Meet the Cultural Illuminati Guarding France’s Most Sacrosanct Asset: The French Language The sanctity—and relevance—of the French language lies in the hands of the intrepid members of the Académie Française, a centuries-old cloak-and-dagger society working to preserve France’s mother tongue.
- NYT – A Penthouse Made for Instagram Spotless walls, a “millennial pink” sofa, a spa-style bathtub that’s waiting to be filled with flowers — and every inch of its 2,400 square feet is free from the clutter of everyday life.
- NYP – Mom files federal lawsuit after son doesn’t make high school soccer team. Meet the quintessential ‘lawnmower’ parent
- Jalopnik – Cop Pulls Tesla Model 3 Driver Over For ‘Computer’ Mounted On Dashboard
- HBR – How to Retain and Engage Your B Players
- ProvPo – Stop It – Why IRR alone is an insufficient method for evaluating returns.
- Forbes – WhatsApp Cofounder Brian Acton Gives The Inside Story On #DeleteFacebook And Why He Left $850 Million Behind
- Economist – Makers of very expensive cars want to be luxury-goods firms But they still have many of the trappings of the depressed car industry
- II – What Billy Beane and Jim Simons Have in Common Investors clamor for transparency — but sometimes, a lack of it works to their advantage.
- NYT – He Got Schizophrenia. He Got Cancer. And Then He Got Cured. A bone-marrow transplant treated a patient’s leukemia — and his delusions, too. Some doctors think they know why.
- PTO – The Paradox Of Bigger Wardrobes
- Freakonomics – Shawn Johnson Full Interview. Freakonomics Radio has been doing a series on athletics. This is an hour long interview with Olympian Shawn Johnson. Johnson’s depth of insight and wisdom around gymnastics, children and sport in general is profound.
- WEF – This coating could be the end of air conditioning
- Jalopnik – LA Authorities Charge First E-Scooter Rider With DUI After BAC Was Three Times Legal Limit. Well that didn’t take long…