This week’s highlights: Noma 2.0, The State of Private Equity, and The Gift of Failure
Fifteen on Friday – 02/23/18 – Issue 274
No deep thoughts to share this week. Just a good group of articles that will hopefully see you through the weekend.
All the best,
Food for Thought:
- VF – “You Want Order, You Work at Eleven Madison”: Inside Chef René Redzepi’s Mad Dash to Open Noma 2.0 It’s been a full year since the Michelin-starred, perennial top-restaurant-in-the-world contender closed in service of its founder’s next vision. For the past few weeks, its staff has been putting the frantic final touches on a new space with a new menu and a wait list several thousand names long. Can the new Noma possibly live up to expectations?
- ProPublica – The Sound and the Fury: Inside the Mystery of the Havana Embassy. More than a year after American diplomats began to suffer strange, concussion-like symptoms in Cuba, a U.S. investigation is no closer to determining how they were hurt or by whom, and the FBI and CIA are at odds over the case. A ProPublica investigation reveals the many layers to the mystery — and the political maneuvering that is reshaping U.S.-Cuba relations.
- Wired – The Final, Terrible Voyage of The Nautilus Kim Wall went for a ride on a submarine, hoping to write a story about a maker of “extreme machines.” She never did. I needed to know what happened.
- NewYorker – The Trippy, High-Speed World of Drone Racing. There is no slacker component to the new generation of talented young pilots who like to fool around with quadcopters.
- CNET – Jeff Bezos shares video of 10,000-year clock project – Credit PR –
- OIC – February 1 2018 Meeting Minutes. Starting on gage 27, the Oregon State Treasury presents one of the most thoughtful and in-depth analyses of private equity investing and the current landscape. It’s about 60 slides long, but to my allocator friends, it’s well worth a read, and then a second.
- BI – Scott Galloway Says Amazon, Apple, Facebook, And Google should be broken up – Credit SF –
- VF – How Twitter Lost the Internet War “They know that it’s where technologists go to die. They want to be with other great technologists elsewhere.”
- EBI – Lessons Learned From 35 Years in the Fund Industry
- GoI – How to CLOSELY Read the “Competition” Section of a 10-K
- AOM – The Best Gift You Can Give Your Children Is Failure
- NYT – Standing for 6 Hours Burns an Extra 54 Calories. Over the course of the year, that equates to 5.5 lbs of weight lost.
- ESPN – Quick Study. After a mere four months of training as a speedskater, Erin Jackson somehow beat out veteran racers for a spot on Team USA. Can she now shock the world in Pyeongchang?
- WashPo – A 6-year-old tells NASA to make Pluto a planet again: ‘You need to fix this problem for me’
- BBC – The 11 cities most likely to run out of drinking water – like Cape Town